Life is full of surprises. I hope you are never in this situation. With that being said, here are some tips for anyone who is injured in a car or motorcycle accident.
Here are some tips for anyone who is injured in a car or motorcycle accident. Depending on how serious the injury is, obviously some of these things will not be possible.
1. If no one else has already, call 911 and report the accident.
2. If possible, take photos of the scene and the vehicles involved.
3. When speaking to the investigating officer, be sure the officer correctly understands how the accident occurred. The officer will obtain all insurance information and will prepare a report of all major details of the accident. Within a few days, you should be able to obtain a copy of the collision report. You should obtain the report and make sure the report is accurate.
4. If injured, seek immediate treatment at the emergency room. Tell the doctors exactly how the accident happened, and describe in detail all pain and symptoms you are having. Follow up with your family doctor as soon as possible so that it can be determined what further treatment you may need.
5. As soon as possible, you should contact your car insurance agent. Your agent should be able to provide you with forms to complete to be sure that the first $10,000.00 of your medical bills are paid. (See my previous blog regarding Kentucky’s “No-Fault” law).
6. If you were injured and not at fault in causing this accident, you have a claim for medical bills that exceed $10,000.00, pain and suffering, lost wages, and possibly other claims. You should contact an attorney as soon as possible. Avoid signing anything or speaking with the insurance company for the at-fault driver until after consulting with an attorney. An experienced personal injury attorney will know how to proceed, and will be make sure that your rights are protected.
I hope this was helpful. As always, if you have questions, let me know and I will be glad to answer them.